What helps students learn? Students must…
1. Feel confident they can succeed;
2. Be internally motivated to do well in each class;
3. Know how to regulate their own learning; and
4. Know how to ask for help.
3 steps to help your child learn:
Step 1: The 3 most important messages parents can give their children
· You need to try hard
· Homework is very important
· School and education are very important
Step 2: WHAT parents can do to help their children learn
· Discuss your values, goals, expectations, and aspirations.
· Learn more about how to help your student learn at home.
· Maintain clear communication with your children’s teachers.
· Learn more about how to be involved in learning at school.
Step 3: HOW parents can help their children learn
· Positively encourage your child in all their academic efforts.
· Model ways your child can be academically successful.
· Reinforce your child when s/he does something well.
· Teach your child.
It should be noted that children’s perceptions of the influence of parental involvement at these various steps are positively correlated when non-intrusive and respectful. This becomes increasingly important as children reach middle and high school because of their need for autonomy and independence.
(Adapted from the work of Kathleen Hoover-Dempsey by Ron Mirr, Iowa PIRC)